Emilia-Romagna has a strong presence of companies oriented towards sustainable business, that cover a wide range of sectors, with a presence in the main regional clusters, including firms in traditional environmental sectors such as waste or water and also those ones that, regardless of the productive sector, act in a greener way.
The regional production system is strongly oriented towards sustainability, supported by the innovation ecosystem that is able to create collaborations and synergies between knowledge system and business. Here are some key actors:
Clust-ER GREEN – Energy and Sustainability
Clust-ER Associations are communities of public and private bodies (research centers, companies, training institutes) created to support the competitiveness of the most important production systems in Emilia-Romagna.
Emilia-Romagna Region promotes sustainable development, involving economic and social actors. The Pact for Labour and Climate - signed in 2020 by 55 regional stakeholders - aims to share a single strategy capable of tackling current difficulties by supporting the economy and society. It is a Pact whose primary aims are generating quality jobs, reducing inequality and taking Emilia-Romagna through environmental transition, thereby helping to achieve the objectives of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, in particular achieving carbon neutrality by 2050 and 100% renewable energy by 2035.
- The Regional Energy Plan sets the strategy and objectives of the Emilia-Romagna Region for climate and energy up to 2030 in terms of strengthening the green economy, energy savings and efficiency, development of renewable energy, interventions on transport, research, innovation and training.
- The Waste Management Regional Plan led to 73% of separate collection in 2021 and aims to achieve 80% in the period 2022-27.
- The Green Public Procurement (GPP) Plan led to 1.5 billion euros of green purchases in 2019, applying Minimum Environmental Criteria in 30% of the calls for tender.
- The regional S3 Smart Specialization Strategy 2021-27 identifies and analyses the regional main sectors for the future innovative investments in Emilia-Romagna
- Regional Law for the promotion of Investments in Emilia-Romagna (LR 14/2014) and National incentives are strongly related to sustainability.
The sustainable production and consumption are supported by the adoption of process and product certification tools with wide use of organic certifications and environmental Management System certifications (e.g.: ISO14001 ). Moreover, the regional companies are first in Italy for the number of EPD certified products (Environment Product Declaration) in 2021.